Sunday, December 10, 2006

It Begins...


Okay. I have told many of you that more information is on the way, and I finally caught a chance in between exams to hammer out a basic purpose and explanation of what I’m planning. I came up with the idea for a nationally coordinated event last year around this time. I presented it to a gathering of editors at a Collegiate Network editor’s conference in Delaware. While interest sparked among a number of schools from Oregon to Illinois to here in Clemson, the event idea fell through because a lack of unity among the topic to protest.

I will admit, at the time, I was pushing for something offensive and forgetting that simply the size of a coordinated effort like we planed was more than enough to get attention. I have a tendency to do this. Go figure—it’s my history.

Anyways, the opportunity finally presented itself again this past week. Just by happenchance, I had the fortunate opportunity to cross paths with Matt Schenk from Cal. State Fullerton, who shared my energy about doing a nationwide, coordinated event. After brainstorming, we decided the best issue would be capitalism. This topic defines what it is to be a “conservative,” be you a Republican conservative or a Libertarian conservative.

In addition to its position as the essential part of conservatives from all walks of life, it is one issue that simply isn’t talked about enough on college campuses, and is constantly under attack every day—even from our national government.

Therefore, this next semester, we will be putting together a NATIONALLY organized event, which I hope will involve at least one school from every state in the nation. Nothing like this has ever occurred before, to the best of my knowledge. This has to potential to be the largest conservative event on college campuses in America…ever.

Details are still in the infancy stages, as we really just started looking into all of this. This is anticipated to be the execution of simultaneous events on college campus across the US under the same theme: The National Day of Capitalism. This is important because it gives the organizing group on each campus the flexibility to hold an event in whatever capacity it can, while still participating in the larger event. So while a well established conservative group on a large campus may be able to garner the funds to put together a huge presentation, a new group on a small campus can still do what they can and both be involved in the national event.

I’ve set up this blog to keep everybody that is interested informed on the updates, as well as have one central hub where communication can be streamlined. Feel free to leave comments, and I’ll check them every day and get back to you. Also, shoot me an email if you want: DayofCapitalism@gmail.com.

This blog will be constantly updated as more details come about, so keep checking it. Also as more groups sign on, I’ll make sure to post a list of dedicated groups and universities. Let’s make this event heard around the world. It’s time we gave capitalism the justice its due.

No comments: